Sunday 19 April 2009

Retiring to the family business

It is not what you think.
I am reducing my working days to babysit my granddaughter! So I am gradually easing from one job and moving into another.
It is a logical thing to do. The young people need to develop a career. Plus they should not be stuck at home with a baby. And a baby needs more love than what a stranger can give. I can go on with more justifications.
So I have put up my hand and I have been headhunted to be a babysitter for two days a week – board and lodging provided.
I will not only babysit 6 month-old Sara, but I may also have to chauffeur 3 year old Rachel to and from pre-school. This will ensure I will have a driving licence till I am ninety.
It is actually a privilege to get a new career. So here I am, reinventing myself for one more time. Of course, I do have a track record. I am not sure if you think Han and Joe are well-adjusted adults. And I am not called baby whisperer for nothing.
It is good not to have grandpa retire to pasture. Think of all the inheritance money I will save from NOT holidaying in Europe, NOT cruising to the South Pacific, NOT towing a caravan across Australia, or spending money on golf balls.
So starting next week, I will not have to sit and watch so much TV, look for messages on Facebook, or take aimless walks around my suburb.
Time for some real, serious family business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Old friend,
let's look at it from another point of view. After all the troubles of bringing them up, I prefer not to go through that phase again. Let the children experience what we as parents have to face in bringing them up. Then they may appreciate what we have to go through.