Monday 5 May 2008

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Took a left turn when I came out of the building and went for a walk along the southern stretch of Glenelg beach. The biggest decision of my afternoon. Right tomorrow, perhaps.

It is a nice late afternoon. The sun is so soft. In summer, the sun would have been much hotter. Enjoy the seasons of your life.

Being Sunday afternoon, there are plenty of people on the foreshore. A horde of seagulls, addicted to junk food, noisily hovers at various heights. They can sense it is the unofficial feeding time. Food can make strange creatures out of us, seagulls or people.

I am glad that I did not bring my iPod for the walk. The sound of the waves is just as wonderful.

I am in holiday mood. I feel happy with a sense of tempered excitement. I breathe the Glenelg air.

Glenelg beach faces west. The sun is about to set.

So I stopped, after strolling about a kilometre, to watch. I am not the only spectator. It is not often that the horizon is clear enough. I have a real chance of seeing a great sunset.

I watched and watched. Lower and lower, slowly but surely, the sun flattens itself and disappears below the line.

5.31 pm and the show is over. The setting of the sun left behind an orangey red glow that filled the horizon for a good half an hour. There is nothing as magical as nature showing off. Sure beats the fireworks that we get on the setting of the year, New Year’s Eve.

No wonder the café nearby is full. Patrons had come for the sunset. The coffee is secondary. Or is it the other way round? It does not matter.

An elderly woman on a wheel chair is enjoying both. Isn’t it nice that someone had cared enough to take her out on such a beautiful day?

The air, the waves, the sunset, the people. I am happy. I have had my fill of nature’s delights. The little pleasures of life that I am grateful for.

A new night has begun. Tomorrow, I will walk further.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like a poem,this posting leaves nothing to imagination for those, who don't have a chance to be there, to share in the glorious moments of the setting sun. It's free and yet one would be denied of it if one doesn't
pause to immerse oneself in the show of nature. A Chinese poem that says the setting sun is superbly beautiful,only it is near the evening, conveys the sadness that goes with the superb scene.

Anonymous said...

Would have been nicer if you could include some snapshots.